Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

KIDNAPPED:Protesters hold signs during a march in support of the girls kidnapped by members of Boko Haram in front of the Nigerian Embassy in Washington May 6. Photo: Reuters/Gary Cameron

ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigerian police offered a 50 million naira ($300,000) reward on Wednesday to anyone who can give credible information leading to the rescue of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist rebels.

Last month’s mass kidnapping by militant group Boko Haram in the remote northeastern village of Chibok triggered an international outcry and protests in Nigeria, piling pressure on the government to get the girls back.

President Barack Obama says the immediate priority is finding nearly 300 teenage girls who were kidnapped from their school in Nigeria three weeks ago.

But Obama says the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram must also be dealt with.

The brazen April 15 abduction has sparked international outrage.

And Obama says in an interview with NBC’s “Today” that he’s glad the Nigerian government is accepting help from U.S. military and law enforcement advisers.

The White House says U.S. armed forces are not being sent.

(Reporting by Camillus Eboh; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Cosby to be deposed in sexual abuse lawsuit


Bill Cosby was expected to testify under oath in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexual abuse.

in Entertainment

OPENING WEEKEND: Biopic ‘Steve Jobs’ competes against ‘Pan,’ ‘The Walk’


Here's a look at the movies set to open nationwide this weekend.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Soldier breaks rank to hug daughter at homecoming


Top brass at a Colorado Army post are all smiles after a 2-year-old girl interrupted a general's speech to dash across the room and hug her dad, who had just come home from a nine-month deployment.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.