News

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

CORDLE SENTENCED: Matthew Cordle is sentenced to more than six years in prison for a fatal crash. Photo: YouTube

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man whose online video confession went viral was sentenced on Wednesday to more than six years in prison.

Matthew Cordle was sentenced to 6 1/2 years for a June crash that killed 61-year-old Vincent Canzani.

Cordle had been drinking the night of the wreck and was more than two times the legal limit when he drove the wrong way on Interstate 670 in Columbus, striking Canzani’s car and killing him.

He recorded a confession video through the help of the Because I Said I Would website that has been viewed millions of times.

Canzani’s daughter, Angela Canzani, spoke during Cordle’s sentencing and said his online confession video shouldn’t allow him to receive a lighter sentence.

The Franklin County Prosecutor has asked Judge David Fais for the maximum eight years, saying Cordle drove despite a history of blackouts after heavy drinking.

Cordle’s attorneys asked for a sentence below the maximum to send a message about the value of taking responsibility for a tragedy.

Cordle pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide and driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. He publicly apologized to the Canzani family during a statement made in court on Wednesday.

Recent Headlines

49 mins ago in Entertainment

‘Fast & Furious 8’ revs up for historic Cuba shoot

Fresh
FastCuba575123770627

Director F. Gary Gray has turned the key on the "Fast 8" production in Havana, making movie history by becoming the first filmmaker to shoot a major Hollywood project in Cuba in over 50 years.

54 mins ago in Entertainment

Sylvester Stallone starring in TV adaptation of ‘Omerta’

Fresh
stallone95828264444

The "Rocky" star will play mob boss Raymonde Aprile in the series inspired by "The Godfather" author Mario Puzo's book.

1 hour ago in Music

Minnesota police obtain sealed search warrant for Prince’s residence as drug rumors swirl

Fresh
In this Saturday evening, Aug. 6 2011 photo American singer and songwriter Prince performs on the Isle of Amager in Copenhagen, Denmark. The concert was the first of two and it was interupted by heavy rain. (AP Photo/Polfoto/Jakob Joergensen) DENMARK OUT

Authorities in Minnesota obtained a search warrant in connection with the death of pop star Prince and also won a court order to keep the findings secret, documents showed Thursday.

2 hours ago in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: Annoying Windows reminder interrupts live TV

Fresh
20-overlay-12

Please excuse this interruption ...

6 hours ago in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: April 29

arethafranklin

A look back on some of Hollywood's most memorable moments.