News

Franchitti has surgery after horrorific IndyCar crash

Franchitti has surgery after horrorific IndyCar crash

RECOVERING: Target Chip Ganassi Racing driver Dario Franchitti of Britain dons his headgear ahead of the 97th running of the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Indiana, May 26, 2013. Photo: Reuters/REUTERS/Kirk Debrunner

(Reuters) – Three-time Indianapolis 500 champion Dario Franchitti has had ankle surgery, more than two weeks after suffering multiple injuries in a crash, his IndyCar team has announced.

Franchitti, a Scotsman who has won four IndyCar series, suffered a fractured ankle, concussion and fractured vertebra during the Houston Grand Prix on October 6.

“Earlier today …Franchitti underwent successful surgery to repair the talus bone in his right ankle,” Target Chip Ganassi said on its website on Monday.

“After a surgery that lasted just over three hours, he is resting comfortably.”

Dr. Terry Trammel, Orthopedic Consultant for the IndyCar Series, added: “Tim Weber repaired Dario’s ankle and his surgery went perfectly and just as planned. His post-operation X-rays looked great.

“Everything is positive at this point as Dario continues his recovery.”

Several spectators were also injured when the 40-year-old’s car went airborne and destroyed a portion of the catch fence.

Alex Tagliani will replace Franchitti for this Saturday’s IndyCar season finale MAVTV 500 in Fontana, California.

Recent Headlines

1 hour ago in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: May 6

Fresh
georgeclooney535004513551

A look at some of the entertainment headlines that made history.

14 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Oregon Trail,’ ‘Sonic’ join World Video Game Hall of Fame

videogamehall2016AP

Last year, "Super Mario Bros." and "Pong" were among the first inductees to the World Video Game Hall of Fame. The class of 2016 is just as strong.

17 hours ago in Entertainment

Seth MacFarlane returning to Fox with new sci-fi series

sethmacfarlane536713938826

The "Family Guy" star is producing a new series set 300 years in the future.

20 hours ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.

20 hours ago in Entertainment

Channing Tatum bringing ‘Magic Mike’ to Sin City

20-overlay-3

The actor, who starred and produced in both the 2012 film and its 2015 sequel "Magic Mike XXL" made the announcement in a Facebook Live video on Wednesday, revealing "Magic Mike Live" will be coming to the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in March, 2017.